In a fashion industry filled with pomp and grandeur – it’s their uniqueness in ‘design’ that is worshipped, helping them stand out among the crowd. An industry always bubbling and moving with experimentation and innovation – ‘protecting their unique emblem’ or ‘trademark’ becomes indispensable.
Indeed it is essential to prevent your design from people who are trying to renovate your innovations or copy the same, thus proclaiming ‘their own’.
A design/trademark is something that is judiciously created by a team. After all, any creation or innovation is a team effort. If the designers want NO COPY of their designs, it’s better to make a trademark registration online.
What Is A Trademark Act?
Trademarks act is essential for registration of service marks, filing of multi-class applications and intellectual property especially designs and your own personal creation from getting commercially exploited.
Just like music industry, even fashion industry can benefit by imitating other’s designs for money and recognition. Hence, protection under design law for fashion industry seems to be the most fitting one.
Get assistance from Online Legal Services for easy and quick formalities.
- One of the positives of protecting your design under this trademark act is to exclusively restrict others to restrict from using your registered design and sue for damages with penalty, when they infringe your rights.
- Benefit of designers registering under this act is to retain ones brand identity.
- To prevent loyal purchasers of original brand from getting deceived
- Preventing an ‘original’ design which was once ruling in the industry from getting outdated.
How to Apply For Trademark Registration Online
To apply for trademark registration online, it’s essential for
- A design to be original and must not have been disclosed to the public.
- A Registered proprietor gets copyright in the design and may fall under
- Articles of clothing and Haberdashery
- Travel goods, cases, parasols and personal belongings
- Textile piece goods, artificial and natural sheet material
- Clocks and watches and other measuring instruments checking signalling instruments (watches and wristwatches etc.)
Stop Giving ‘Leeway’ To Other Designers…
Unauthorised and illegal production or distribution of original design is against the design law and IP act. This is broadly categorised into two parts
- Knock offs
Knock-offs are those products which are replications of the original one with different brand names. Counterfeits are products which are an exact replica of the original and also retain the same brand name.
Preserving your designs by applying for trademark registration can save you and other loyal purchasers from many consequences. The judiciary process is to help upgrade the fashion industry in the creation and experimentation of designs.
It’s such an industry where there is a constant flow of designs and creativity. Hence, to nurture this, designers have to be vigilant and protective about their creations by registering under the trademark act.
This way, it motivates designers to make new creations thereby giving them the assurance that their work cannot be copied or imitated.
If done, the concerned person would be sued a charge of 25,000/-
Knowing how to protect your Intellectual property, its time you act up before it’s too late!
© Sayeri Bhattacharya
Disclaimer: The details mentioned in the post are true to author’s knowledge and for information purpose ONLY. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Sayeri Bhattacharya (Sayeri Diary) with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
3,375 total views, 54 views today