E-Commerce SEO is a popular term in SEO industry. The market is very competitive & we all are trying to rank at top. So here I am sharing 10 things that should be the must do for all e-commerce sites.
- Complete Hygiene Check-up – As a SEO analyst we should go for a complete audit of the site. There are so many things (duplicate meta tags, server reliability, http version issue etc) that we should consider here.
- Usage of Keywords – Choose relevant keywords for your business otherwise the conversion rate will suffer. Do not go for broad & high competitive keywords (difficult to rank). Google keyword planner is the right place to start your research. Always target long-tail keywords with high relevancy, medium search volume & low competition.Example – “buy red t-shirt online” would be more likely to focus than “buy shirt”.Before targeting please check the keyword effectiveness of each keyword.
Suppose for the keyword “buy red t-shirt online” Google shows 224.234 in SERP result & search volume for this keyword is 821. In that case the KEI is 273
- Onpage Optimization – For ecommerce we can divide the optimization part in following sections –
Optimization for Home Page – Here we should use the general keywords in the title tag along with other relevant keywords & mentioning business USP in meta description is mandatory.Our first priority should be the products then we can add little amount of content at the bottom.
- Optimization for Category Page – Optimize the meta tags with category based keywords & interlink the page content with home page as well as sub category page.
- For e-commerce website content should be placed below the products.
- Optimization for Sub-Category Page – Choose the exact keywords relevant with sub-categories & use these in the meta tags. For content section here also we do interlinking with category page as well as product page.
- Optimization for Product Page – For a ecommerce this is the most important page. Apart from meta tag optimization we should check other things like product image variation (there should be atleast 5 product image with variation),mention “Add to Cart” button on the first fold,USP mentioned.
- Other pages optimization – Here we are talking about the transaction pages. To increase the conversion rate we should optimize these pages too.
Elements we should focus on include:
- Descriptive wording for all products
- Descriptive & clean urls (do not use numbers & other signs)
- Proper breadcrumb
- Image Optimization (include file name,alt tags,size etc)
- Optimize header tags
- Consistent NAP (name,address & phone number) for all pages.
- Interlink home page with important category & product pages.
- Rich product snippets in SERP – we can use product names & prices,availability,customer reviews & ratings.
- Responsive design:Recently Google announced that mobile search has overtaken desktop search in 10 countries.So the website should be mobile friendly & we should make responsive design for that.
- A blog under the main domain – For ecommerce website we should always go for a blog(host it on the main domain like – www.example.comblog) where we can cover the highly searched topic related to our business & interlink the content with website pages.
In the blog section we can share interesting posts,infographics & shopping tips to build a good number of visitors for the site.
6.Link building – Getting good quality & relevant back links is good always for your site.Google still gives value to those links.But it is time taking.We can try to listed on local niche directories & online review sites to increase your link foot print.Apart from that you might also try for broken link building – Find domains in your niche that have shut down and see which sites are currently still linking to them. Send an email to these sites to let them know about the broken links, and suggest a link to your site as an alternative.
7.Supplementary content: For ecommerce websites,most useful supplementary content can be product reviews & ratings.
8.Site navigation: Having a good site navigation is beneficial for SEO & also for users.Analyze competitors website & big brands to suggest a great website navigation.
9.Page speed factor:Page speed is a growing ranking factor. Use a tool like Google’sPageSpeed Insights to ensure your site is loading fast.
10. Pinterest optimization – Promote your products through pinterest is a great idea.Optimize title,description & images with your focus set of key phrases & add “pin it” button for all the products.
2,273 total views, 2 views today