With summer’s end at our doorsteps, we need to prepare both mentally and physically for the changing season. One of those changes we have to make is the way we treat our skin.
Autumn is the time when the humidity we were used to in the summer months drops, so the products we were using during the summer months are probably not going to work anymore.
Whether it’s changing seasons, harsh products or any other cause of skin dehydration, it’s important to bring back balance because your skin is your body’s natural barrier.
In any case, preventing dry skin is much easier and simpler than treating dry skin when it’s already there. Plus, dry skin can be very uncomfortable as it can cause itching, redness, skin cracking, and in worst cases also bleeding.
Below, you can see the 5 best ways to avoid dry skin this autumn and keep your skin supple and hydrated.
1.Adjust Your Bath and Shower Routine
When the season gets cold, we all want to enjoy a hot bath or a hot shower at the end of the working day. However, this is not very beneficial for your skin.
Hot water is extremely drying for your skin so this is the last thing you want to do in autumn. Instead, try adjusting your routine by adopting the following steps:
- Make your bath or shower time shorter. An ideal shower will last 5 to 10 minutes maximum. More than that will strip all the natural oils off your skin, causing it to dry out even more.
- Never use hot water for showering or bathing, no matter how much you want to. The hot water in the shower plus the cold air outside are extremely drying for your skin. Instead, use warm water.
- Choose a good cleanser that is not harsh and does not irritate your skin. Artificial fragrances and chemicals are also going to dry out your skin, so it’s better to use natural, fragrance-free shower gels or milks.
- Don’t be rough when you use the towel after showering. It’s enough to just simply pat-dry your skin when you go out of the shower.
- And finally, never forget to moisturize right after the shower! When we are showering or taking a bath, our pores are open and that’s the best time to apply the moisturizer that your skin will absorb. Furthermore, make sure to moisturize your whole body, especially the problem areas that dry out quickly.
2.Improve The Indoors Air Quality
Of course, we cannot influence the weather outside, but what we can change is the air we breathe indoors. If the air outside is cold and dry, then make your house or apartment your own personal safe haven by following these tips:
- Get a humidifier! And this is a must. Humidifiers are one of the best inventions ever when it comes to cold seasons and drying skin. Your skin will be so thankful for bringing back some moisture and humidity in the air!
- Don’t sit right in front of heat sources. Sitting in front of the fireplace with a book and a glass of wine might look good on a postcard, but it’s actually very unhealthy for your skin. The same goes for other heat sources. Of course, I’m not saying to just stay cold, but don’t make it too hot, and don’t expose your skin by sitting directly in front of a heat source.
Also Read: Summer Skin Saver Beauty Routines
3.Hydrate The Skin from The Inside Out
One of the most crucial tips to remember, regardless of the season, is to always drink enough water and eat well. In autumn, this is crucial not just for your skin health, but also to bring your immunity up and fight those common “changing season” flu and colds.
- Eat a lot of vegetables such as cucumbers, lettuce, zucchini, celery, etc.
- Eat hydrating fruits which have a high water content such as watermelons, strawberries, etc.
- Avoid eating junk food, too much salt and sugar, caffeine, alcohol, etc.
- Drink at least 2 kilos of water per day. If you are not a big fan of this, make a tea and drink it like that.
4.Choose The Right Products
In summer, the humidity is higher so the products we use do not need to be too heavy. Plus, the hot weather causes perspiration which is also a type of skin moisturizing. However, when autumn comes, we start needing different products. Here are our suggestions:
- Cleanser: choose one that is gentle and preferably one that contains glycerin;
- Moisturizer: choose hydrating creams (not lotions) that contain ceramides. Such moisturizers are the best option for dry skin;
- Exfoliation: use a gentle exfoliator and don’t use it too often, since this will additionally dry out your skin. Once or twice per week is enough for your skin to be healthy in autumn;
- Masks: use hydrating masks whenever you feel that your skin needs a bit of extra love and pampering;
When it comes to autumn skincare products, avoid ones that contain harsh irritants such as alcohol, artificial fragrances, soap, chemicals, etc.
Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!
If we generalize, it all comes down to moisturizing! Find a rich cream that will keep your skin hydrated for a longer period, and always have it with you to be able to apply whenever you feel that your skin is drying out again.
Even though a light and non-comedogenic moisturizer is a “must have” in summer, autumn requires a richer and heavier cream.
As we mentioned before, another important tip to remember is to moisturize after showering, while your skin is still damp. This is the time when your skin can best absorb and lock in the moisturizer.
Learning how to properly adjust your skincare routine throughout the changing seasons is very important in order to preserve your skin healthy. Dry skin is not just annoying, but can also be painful, itchy and even start bleeding. And of course, this is not something pleasant to experience.
In any case, there are many ways to avoid dry skin this autumn, so just start incorporating the above-mentioned tips and I promise you’ll be ready for autumn.
Stay Connected With Me Over Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
© Sayeri Bhattacharya Disclaimer:The details mentioned in the post are true to author’s knowledge and for information purpose ONLY. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Sayeri Bhattacharya (Sayeri Diary) with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
2,879 total views, 1 views today
One thought on “5 Ways to Avoid Dry Skin This Autumn”
Lovely post and much needed since autumn is knocking on the doors. Dry skins can be really an irritation at times. You have given some wonderful suggestions on how to take care of it. Applying a good moisturizer is a must since our skin looses lot of it during this season.
Thank you for sharing this post. have a good day. 🙂