You may have been the quintessentially encouraging and supportive parent, asking your children to take up fun online hobby classes while also covering their study routine at the same time. In this context, Yellow Class has a wide range of hobbies to do online including sessions for kids stories, painting and a lot more. Yet, coming back to the core context, what type of parent are you actually? There are several terms which apparently do not possess any direct link to parenting but they do have some significance in this regard.
Here’s taking a look at the same:
- Tiger- This parenting style is based upon the popular book by Amy Chua, Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother. The tiger mother here pushes her kids to be the best performers and young achievers through a strict approach. Tiger parents are those bent upon making their children succeed in every aspect of life while keeping them disciplined through strictness and demanding routines. The success of children in any discipline like academics or sports are indicators of their own success as far as tiger parents are concerned.
- Elephant– The term was used in the Atlantic blog first by Priyanka Sharma-Sindhar. They are opposite to tiger parents, being more understanding, affectionate and nurturing. They offer ample space to kids for leading their lives as per their own desires while being more responsive and avoiding scolding their kids in turn.
- Helicopter– These are parents continually hovering over the lives of their children. They are overtly involved in their children’s daily lives. These parents will excessively direct their kids’ choices, goals and implement things as their own wishes. They choose the friends, activities, subjects and so on. This type of parenting is not recommended by most experts.
- Dolphin– This term was used first in the book The Dolphin Way: A Parent’s Guide to Raising Happy, Healthy, and Motivated Kids Without Turning Into A Tiger by Dr. Shimi Kang. Dolphin parents are well-balanced, imposing set regulations on children but giving ample freedom at the same time. These parents are more adaptive to their child’s unique needs.
- Lawnmower– Lawnmower parents are similar to helicopter parents, exercising unnecessary involvement in the lives of their children while making sure to mow down all hurdles in the paths of their kids at the same time. These parents usually panic at the very signs of failure and rush to save their children immediately. This may cover doing assignments on behalf of children, blaming tutors for poor grades and going out of the way to solve any little issue in the child’s life.
- Free Range– This parenting style was popularized by Benjamin Spock and they usually look to motivate their kids to independently operate as per their age with intervention at a minimal level. This parenting type helps in enabling children to build their own individuality while also enabling them to take responsibility for their choices and actions.
Now that you know these terms, which type of parent are you? It can be very interesting to find out!
Also Read: Planning for Children’s Education- Check out This Calculator
Stay Connected With Me Over Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
© Sayeri Bhattacharya
Disclaimer: The details mentioned in the post are true to author’s knowledge and for information purpose ONLY. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Sayeri Bhattacharya (Sayeri Diary) with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
1,701 total views, 4 views today